Barrister | Mediator
Year of call: 1975
Moira is a well-established practitioner in Family Law.
Her particular areas of specialism are as follows:
• International child abduction cases acting for parents and grandparents
• Care and wardship cases acting for parents, grandparents and local authorities
• Applications to remove children from the jurisdiction
• Applications concerning parentage and education
• Disputes concerning the validity of marriages and nullity
• Disputes as to the court’s jurisdiction
• Disputes over occupation of the family home
• Orders to protect people from abuse after the breakdown of relationships
COURT OF PROTECTION
Moira also has a wealth of experience in Court of Protection work and has had articles published by the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners, Family Law and The Review.
She is based in London and Sussex and is a popular, approachable advocate, known for her diligence in preparation. When receiving papers she looks at all the evidence at the earliest opportunity to see if there are any facts missing which could improve the position of her client and that need to be investigated. Once she has a complete picture she then predicts how the court is likely to decide the case.
Working closely with both the solicitor and client she will try and achieve a settlement at the earliest opportunity to achieve the best result and save costs and time. Although a trial is the option of last resort her early career as a criminal barrister has given her wide ranging cross examination techniques.
Moira studied decision making in a crisis and how to reduce stress, and she brings these skills to her practice which allow her clients to take in information and think clearly. Together with her training in conflict resolution, basic and social psychology, she aims to put the client in the best place to participate in the case and not become overwhelmed.
Moira is an accredited mediator with both the Civil Mediation Council and Resolution. She takes a flexible approach with regard to her availability, offering either full day sessions or, for example, five sessions of one and a half hours. Please contact her practice directors on 0300 0300 218 for more details.
• International Relations Bsc (Hons) University College London
• City University Journalism Diploma
• Family Law Bar Association
• The Human Rights Committee
Politics, tennis and psychology.